Why is it important to be able to translate into the Portuguese language?
Where is it spoken?
Brazil – Portugal – Mozambique – Angola – Guinea-Bissau – East Timor – Equatorial Guinea (not the main language) – Macao (China, as co-official language) -Cape Verde – Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe
Nº of speakers
Indo-European – Italic – Romance
Portuguese language, spoken by over 250 million people, is an official language not only in Portugal, its historical origin, and Brazil but also in Africa, Asia, and other parts of the world owing to Portuguese expansion. The two variants, Brazilian and Portuguese, are mutually intelligible, although they differ in pronunciation, vocabulary, and structure.
As Fernando Pessoa famously remarked, “My country is the Portuguese language“, and this sentiment is present in both the Lisbon and Rio de Janeiro dialects, forging cultural connections between Brazil and nations across Africa and Asia.
Brazil’s stable economic growth has made it a global hub for investors and enterprises. Proficiency in portuguese language can open doors in the job market, enabling effortless communication with major Brazilian corporations and facilitating business endeavors in an expanding economy. Portuguese enhances tourism by enabling full cultural immersion in Brazil and the unique customs of other Portuguese-speaking African nations.
Moreover, Brazil hosts some of the leading universities in Latin America. In today’s era of digital progress, remote learning has become more available, and mastering Portuguese enables access to these eminent academic programmes.
Whether for cultural, economic or academic reasons, having proficiency in Portuguese language is a valuable asset in the globalised world of today.
The most translated languages into Portuguese language
Learn to speak in Portuguese language like a true native
Basic expressions in Portuguese
Estou procurando um hotel próximo. Você tem alguma recomendação?
I am looking for a hotel nearby, do you have any recommendations?
Gostaria de saber se há alguma festa ou evento local esta noite.
I would like to know if there is a party or local event tonight.
Existe algum prato típico que eu deveria experimentar aqui?
Is there a typical dish that I should try here?
|Saudade||Longing/Melancholy for something absent|
|Fado||Traditional Portuguese song/destiny/fate|
|Desenrascanço||Improvisation or making do|
|Tertúlia||Social gathering or chat|
|Xávega||Traditional fishing art|
Other curiosities about the Portuguese language
- Unstoppable growth: After English, Portuguese is the fastest growing European language in the world.
- Galician origin: Modern Portuguese derives from Galician Portuguese, spoken in the region of Galicia and northern Portugal.
- Influence in Japan: Japanese words such as “pan” (bread) come from Portuguese, due to Portuguese traders who came to Japan in the 16th century.
- Differences between Brazil and Portugal: Brazilian and Portuguese Portuguese have notable differences, comparable to British and American English.
- Multiple accents: There are more than 10 different accents in Brazil and several in Portugal.
- Lusophony: The term “lusophony” refers to the set of cultural identities of Portuguese-speaking countries in the world.
- Ancient Arabic influence: During the Moorish occupation of the Iberian Peninsula, many words of Arabic origin were introduced into Portuguese.
- Reformed orthography: In 2009, an orthographic agreement was implemented to unify spelling in all Portuguese-speaking countries.
We offer Portuguese language support in multiple services
Audio and Text Translation
Portuguese language translator among over 125 available languages.
Remote Conversation Translation
Speak and translate to Portuguese language with people anywhere in the world remotely.
Speak freely. Translate Portuguese instantly in real-time.
Learning with Smart Books
Expressions, essentials, culture, verbs, travel, and technical language all in one place.
Audio Playback of the Translation
Listen to the audio of the Portuguese language translation to improve your pronunciation.
Speak freely and your app will translate for and to you.